Thursday, August 22, 2024

What is God doing?

 When we were on camp in Scotland a few weeks ago, my fellow pastoral leader gave a devotion where he challenged us to ask God to give us eyes for what He is already doing. That has been playing in the back of my mind, and as we use the last days of summer (summer ends in September here) to build relationships in Tang Hall, prayer walk and listen to God, I am asking Him what He is already doing in our city.





Earlier this week was Tilly (Vanessa’s daughter)’s first birthday. I organised a little playdate that turned into a party for her, and we invited over a baby who is a week older than her. This little boy’s father isn’t in the equation, and it was really nice to see him interact with Mark, Tilly’s dad. As we all sat round the table - two babies, three single women and a married couple - we shared stories and advice and generally talked about mundane, life situations. Tilly tried to steal the other baby’s water cup, and they held hands briefly between spewing broccoli. And I realised that, at that table, we were functioning as family. The baby’s mum doesn’t have a partner to bounce her fears and ideas for raising a child off of, so Mark and Vanessa served that purpose. She doesn’t have somebody to process a tricky relationship, and Yvonne and I can fill that role. She speaks Spanish to Tilly and sings amazing birthday songs and brings life and joy to the places she finds herself. And our third single friend is a widow who has already raised four children and moved internationally, so she brings us the wisdom of an experienced mother, grandmother and Christian. She and I have gone on holiday with Mark and Vanessa before. I see the way that God has brought all of us together to form a family type unit who can support each other as needed. 





Today, my team and I went to York Minster for a time of prayer. Whilst we were sitting and praying for the city, we marvelled at the ways that York has contributed to Christianity. In my reading for my theology school intensive residential that I have coming up, I’ve been amazed to see how often York comes up. For over 1200 years, this city has been instrumental in the spread of Christianity and in training lay people about God in times where mostly only priests and ordained people received religious education. 


Whilst we were in the Minster, there was an announcement for a service in the chapel for anointing for healing. We decided to go along. The whole service was grounded in Scripture, which we alternately quoted with the priest. He talked about Jesus’s power to heal, and we extolled Scriptures praising God. The priest read from Ezekiel 46, where God declares His desire to bring healing. And when the priest asked those who wished to receive prayer for healing to come forward, there was a queue of over 30 people. He took his time to pray with everyone. Then we had communion together.


As I watched all of those people queue to receive prayer for healing, I realised that there is a hunger and desire to ask God for healing. I recently read John Wimber’s book Power Evangelism, and he reminds the reader of how Jesus’s great miracles of healing led to many towns believing in Jesus. I see that hunger alive in England - in York! - today. The Minster was offering healing prayer to tourists - many of whom don’t know God - quite openly. It was not hidden away. Others crowded in the back to watch and see what would happen. There were no explosions, but as people returned to their seats, you could see the peace that they were experiencing. 


So what is God doing? I suspect that it is something to do with being family and community. There is an openness for healing - and maybe for people to come to Christ through witnessing it! And as I pray about the church planting that I am beginning to be involved with, and as our team continues the process of moving to Tang Hall, I want to join in what God is already doing. Healing. Being together and supporting each other. And hopefully, welcoming more people into God’s family.


As a side note, I think that I may have to discontinue a public blog and move instead to email newsletters. As I move into more of the church planting and building deep relationships with people, I don’t feel comfortable posting the stories of my work on a blog where anybody can find it. So if you would like to be a part of my email newsletter list, please do email me at deborahestevenson@gmail.com to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment